Data SecurityPass IT On uses data shredding software to wipe hard drives of all data. We use HDShredder 4 Professional Edition which meets the HMG IS5 Enhanced security standards set by the British Government. If a hard drive is faulty and cannot be wiped, it is physically destroyed before being sent for recycling. Any identifying labels are removed before the equipment is passed on, however we are unable to delete ultra violet marks.
WEEE [Waste Electronic and Electrical Equipment] RegulationsIn accordance with European legislation, Pass IT On is registered with SEPA [Scottish Environmental Protection Agency] for the repair and/or refurbishment of WEEE.
Electrical SafetyBefore donated equipment is passed on, it is PAT tested for electrical safety. NB: By donating equipment, you are confirming that you have read our IT Donor Policy (opens in a new window).
Currently we are looking for:
- laptops and PC base units with a quad core processor or faster
- Apple Macs up to 7 years old
- 19″ or larger flat screen monitors*
- digital cameras* – many of our clients are keen to take up digital photography. If you are disposing of older digital cameras, we’d be very happy to pass them on
Other Computer Re-Use / Recycling OptionsIf your equipment doesn’t meet our minimum requirements, we suggest you try the following options:
Reusing ITReusing IT provides high quality, professionally refurbished computers for reuse by families on low income and by overseas organisations working in education, health and agriculture. www.reusingit.org
Give it awayYou can offer to give away unwanted goods on these websites:
- Freegle: www.ilovefreegleYou .org/explore/EdinburghFreegle
- Freecycle: www.groups.freecycle.org/group/FreecycleEdinburgh